Lung Function Tests
What is it?
It is a test that measures lung capacity.
When is it recommended?
- It is recommended in smokers over 40 years of age to rule out obstructive pulmonary disease.
- In patients known to assess response to bronchodilator lung disease.
- It is useful to evaluate the patient’s response to bronchodilator therapy.
- It can be used as part of the preoperative assessment.
- It is also indicates in patients with respiratory symptoms such as coughing, fatigue, breathlessness on exertion.
- Diagnosis of bronchial asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis.
How is it done?
The patient blows on a nozzle. The machine produces curves that show pulmonary ventilatory capacity.